The Colt Infantry Automatic Rifle (IAR™)* Model IAR6940 is a lightweight, gas operated, magazine fed, 5.56mm automatic rifle.
Based on the battle proven M16/M4 series of rifles, new unique design features include a patented Monolithic Upper Receiver* with MIL-STD-1913 rails at the 12, 3, and 9 o’clock positions, as well as a lower rail system with a MIL-STD-1913 rail at the 6 o’clock position. In addition, the Colt IAR features a unique heat sink system attached to the barrel, which significantly reduces the risk of cook-offs during extended periods of firing. The heat sink also provides extended barrel life over existing industry lightweight automatic rifle designs. The IAR’s ambidextrous safety mechanism provides for a positive touch & feel in safe or fire mode. Anyone familiar with other Colt rifles and carbines will immediately recognize the IAR. The IAR6940 is operationally ready to meet and exceed the duties required of an Automatic Rifle on today’s battlefields.
* U.S. Patent # 7,131,228 B2
- patented Monolithic Upper Receiver* with MIL-STD-1913 rails at the 12, 3, and 9 o’clock positions
- lower rail system with MIL-STD-1913 rail at the 6 o’clock position
- unique heat sink system significantly reduces risk of cook-offs during extended periods of firing
- extended barrel life
- positive touch & feel in safe or fire mode
|5.56x45 NATO (.2223 Rem.)
|9.5 lbs (4.31 kg)
|33.5 in. (85.09 cm)
|36.75 in. (93.35 cm)
|16 in. (40.64 cm)
Note: Technical Specifications rounded off to the nearest 10th.